Thursday, August 28, 2008

my new toy: the Lensbaby

I've known about this lens for a few years and only considered it in passing; but they're on sale right now, so I decided to buy the Lensbaby 2.0. Basically, it's a fixed, fully manual 50mm lens with a flexible barrel that is pushed or pulled to focus. You can then alter what is in focus in the frame by moving the lens laterally. The resulting blurring effect is what makes this lens so unique.

I used it a few times last week and, while it requires some learning and practice, have enjoyed the results. I have some ideas about when and where to use it. Below are some favorites from my first session with it: the top one is Cecilia's sidewalk chalk drawing of the rancor; the lower one was taken while Jessica was baking.


1 comment:

Carly Rose Photography said...

Very cool lens! Have to try it sometime. I just love looking at your pictures. I am always in awe!